It was 7 years to the day when a very young and nervous Nina, was standing in front of a group of local yogis introducing the very first edition of Yoga Awakening Africa.
How things have changed since that morning. Like they say, time flies, but it really does feel like it was just the other day when I was staying up and working into the wee hours of the morning with my friend Aline Nienaber from Nila Workroom and Lindsaye McGregor to put together the first edition of Yoga Awakening Africa – my dream. To create a high quality yoga magazine that would encompass all the styles and different teachings of yoga in a community based magazine.
We worked together tirelessly for three years on creating 6 beautiful magazines, until we decided that we needed to give print media a bit of a break and hence headed online. Thanks to the continued support of all our small and big advertisers we have been able to carry on sharing yoga events, stories, interviews as well as the deeper wisdom and knowledge that yoga has to offer.
It has been a fabulous, creative, fluid and always changing journey and we are so excited to see what this year has in store for us. So if you would like to be part of this journey, be sure to contact Juanita for our 2014 advertising options.
So this is what happened in 2013:
We received over 200 new FaceBook likes to our already growing fan base and now total over 800!
We received over 44 000 views to our blog, which means on average we have over 120 visits per day!
(We will be improving these this year to make it even more user friendly!)
- Salamba Sirasana – Supported Headstand
- Ardha Chandrasa from Utthita Trikonasana – Half-moon Pose from Triangle Pose
- Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana – Half-bound Lotus Pose
- Baddha Konasana – Cobbler Pose
- Parivrrta Janu Sirsasana – Revolved Head to Knee Pose
The most visited yoga sequences were:
- Kidney, Liver, Spleen & Pancreas Vinyasa
- Stress Management through Yoga
- Using Variations of Adho Mukha Svanasana to create your own sequence
- Summer Morning Vinyasa
- Spring Yoga Routine
- Yoga Spirit in Constantia
- Yoga with Nicci in Stellenbosch
- Yoga with Nina
- Yoga Odyssey Bryanston
- South African School of Satyananda Yoga in Hyde Park
The most visited interview posts were:
- Sama Vritti Pranayama
- Agni Sara
- Anuloma Ujjayi Pranayama
- Nadi Sodhana – Alternate Nostril Breathing
- Dandelion Breath
We look forward to sharing our new yoga news with you this year.